Friday, May 1, 2009

A Balance of Histories

While on our journey through Philadelphia, I noticed how well history has been protected and honored, while being able to coexist with the modern Philadelphia society. I think that this is what makes Philadelphia stand out from other cities like New York and Shanghai, where older culture and history is being hidden, and even destroyed, by modern conveniences. This flowing co-inhabitance of modern and history, is what makes Philadelphia stand out in my mind, as being a city to look up to.


Mid-afternoon on April 19th, 2009, my travel partner, Tyler Cabot, and I took a step back in time. We almost walked right past, but after I spotted the sign, no bigger than one square foot hidden by the modern city around it, Tyler and I decided to check it out. As we turned onto Elfreth’s Alley, I could sense the history surrounding me, and as I soon found out, I had just been transported to the year, 1702. Just being there, I felt like I had become part of the time when Ben Franklin had roamed the Philadelphia streets. Noticing its narrow cobble stone alley, no wider than fifteen feet across, this still inhabited neighborhood, contained about thirty colonial style, brick, townhouse looking homes, all squished together to form a very homey, welcoming curb appeal. I could tell as I walked with Tyler down this path, that we were lucky to still have this piece of American history. Storm cellars, lamp posts, and time period appropriate additions really made this section of the Old Historic District one that I am glad I did not miss.


After walking back to Race Street, Tyler and I, reentered the twenty-first century. However, being the city that it is, we were still reminded of the intense history of this “city of brotherly love”. As we walked down Second Street to eventually end up on South Street, we past many colonial style townhouses as well as the historic City Tavern, where Ben Franklin and John Adams used to stop in for a beer. This old tavern was just one of the many important sites that we walked past, that many people probably do not even notice, or think about their historic significance.


Once arriving on South Street, Tyler and I were slammed with the intense aroma of the more modern piece of Philadelphia history, the cheesesteak. Following our journey to choose the perfect spot to try this delicacy, we chose to eat at Jim’s Steaks, which we could tell was a Philadelphia native’s favorite. There were people waiting outside the door in a line which stretched around the corner and down the street, all for a cheesesteak. However, as I soon found out from the lady in front of me, “the sandwich is worth the wait.” During the twenty minutes that I stood outside, I was continuously being taunted by the delicious smell of onions being caramelized on the grill while watching through the windows as the assembly line of bread, whiz, steak, onions, peppers, and mushrooms went by in less than a minute per sandwich. Finally, we made it to the door, where the teasing continued as we had to follow the indoor line which curved all the way to the cash register. After an hour of standing, watching the assembly line continue, and sandwich after sandwich get carried upstairs to be devoured, it was finally my turn to order my piece of Philadelphia history. A cheesesteak with whiz, onions, peppers and mushrooms. After receiving my long awaited meal, Tyler and I walked upstairs to eat with the rest of the people who had waited in line before us. After finishing my cheesesteak in about ten minutes, I could say that it was definitely worth the wait to taste such a delicious piece of Philadelphia history.


The modern history of Philadelphia and the old historic Philadelphia from the 1700s, have coexisted smoothly throughout the years. Even though Philly has become more modern, it still pays tribute to its history with constant reminders and preservation spread throughout the city. This expression of the city’s, and the country’s history, is one reason why cities throughout the world should look up to Philadelphia.

No comments: